.

.
IMPORTANT! We are extending the availability to order the Greg Alia - On of Ours, One of Us t-shirts Indefinitely.

Monday, October 19, 2015

Two Tales of a City

Okay, I created the title just to get your attention.

The following two accounts don't involve any heroics of any sort, but they do express the concern and actions of those who serve and protect us, even in the slightest fashion.

Nobody Home

During the warmer and sunnier days of the year my home's front and side doors are usually open (with the storm doors locked and closed), as I thrive on this type of weather. I also have a shotgun view from my office to the front door and most any vehicle passing by in the culde sac will get my attention. Traffic is rare, but a light colored vehicle such as a Forest Acres patrol vehicle, will usually reflect a light which catches my eye.

A year or so ago I happened to look up and notice what looked like a Forest Acres patrol vehicle and because I live in a culde sac it must pass by again. I noticed this vehicle was slowing and was on the side of the road closest to my home, not in the normal traffic lane.

I got up from desk and went to the front door. Yes, the officer was walking down the driveway toward my front door.



I went out to meet him. He said, "We just had a burglary a few streets over, it looked like no one was home and I saw your door was open. I just wanted to make sure everything was okay."

I didn't need to say I was okay or explain anything as I know he understood, but I did have to thank him for stopping to check. He knew his neighborhoods and took the time to investigate. I've only been in Forest Acres for a few years, but I believe he was actually familiar with me or as being a resident at this location. He knew all was well.

I thought to myself, "How often does this happen, anywhere?" I've lived many places and traveled many more and this was wonderful.

The officer was Officer Baxter and I have only seen him one since then, but that truly doesn't matter. The impact was made and he was only doing his job, perhaps with more thought and concern than most, but I don't find that so rare here in Forest Acres.

Doug Ingbretsen
Team T.O.S.

___________________ 

Dog Gone!

The first thing I remember wanting to be in life, as for a career, was a veterinarian. I love animals and have even been called the Dog Whisperer by a few friends, but I don't go out of my way to spend time with or currently own an animal, but I've had many over my lifetime.

One thing I do know is that I can spot most any stray dog or cat. I think most people, who have grown up with domesticated animals or have owned pets, can as well. Home and territory is big for most animals and when they no longer have that sense of belonging, love and territory they appear to be disoriented, lost and don't carry themselves the same way. They are skittish - it's sad. This tells you so much about how we are as important to our domesticated animal friends as they are to us.

About two years ago I noticed this rather large mature, not underfed, Boxer, wandering down Covenant Road, and something didn't seem right. He looked out of place, lost and helpless. Unfortunately, he may have appeared to be threatening to a family, particularly those with children.

For that reason I should have stopped to help him/her or at least made a call to Animal Control. I did neither.

A few days later, having morning coffee on the side porch I saw this same Boxer come ambling down the street. I was almost certain, if I approached, it would scamper off.  I thought of what food I could offer to draw him closer for capture.

I wasn't so creative this early in the morning so I called the direct line to Forest Acres Police Department rather than Animal Control. I was told an officer would be out shortly.

Johnny Ray showed up and although I referred to having met him before, I'm not certain he remembered. That's okay. He was determined to find this dog who had suddenly disappeared somewhere in the culde sac.

He parked his patrol car in the middle of the culde sac and because the neighborhood is surrounded by a fence, but four homes with no property fences, Johnny Ray headed left and I headed right, closest to my house. 

I went deepest because I knew the neighborhood and Johnny Ray was further up after he check two properties. As I was yelling back to him I saw the Boxer strolling behind his cruiser, and told him so. 

Johnny Ray gave pursuit and the dog, now at a trot, looked over its shoulder as if to say, "Man, I've gotta get out of here.", as if a criminal. But, it wasn't, just confused and scared.

I ran into Johnny Ray a few weeks later and he said they hadn't found the Boxer yet.

Doug Ingbretsen
Team T.O.S.

We hope to see you Thursday, October 29, 2015 at Rooftop Rhythms at Richland Mall.






No comments:

Post a Comment