.

.
IMPORTANT! We are extending the availability to order the Greg Alia - On of Ours, One of Us t-shirts Indefinitely.

Saturday, October 17, 2015

A Morning Many of Us Will Never Forget

Sometime late in the morning of Wednesday, September 30, or around noon, a friend or someone I bumped into during the course of the day mentioned that one of our Forest Acres Police Officers had been shot and killed that morning. 

I first thought this meant early in the a.m. hours when most of these types of crimes occur. Why didn't I hear about this on the local morning news? 

Then I learned this tragedy had occurred in the early daylight hours at Richland Mall whereas the most traffic they would have had there was probably some walkers getting exercise at a time before any of the retailers were to be open.

None of this was making sense or adding up, as if it was supposed to.

I began to ask friends and acquaintances, "Who was the officer?" I received no affirmative response, as if this truly mattered. A few faces and names ran through my mind, but again, why would this matter at such a time. Perhaps I may have known or knew of the officer?


I had things to go about doing for the next few hours, but I was certain I would later know at least a little more until something official was released by officials and the media.

From where would this information come? A group I would see later that day at a little obscure, but well known place to locals and very well-known to Forest Acres' long-timers.

I was in the dated and somewhat historic establishment not more than a few steps, when I overheard, "Did you hear about Greg Alia?" I didn't have to know Greg to know who and what they were speaking of. In fact, I didn't know Greg, nor had I ever spent a second speaking with him.

Did this matter? Initially, yes. Later, hell no.

Not having had any personal time with the officer who was slain meant I didn't have to deal with the one-on-one human connection and the loss.

This allowed me and many of this group of late afternoon and early evening friends to focus our ire and anger on something just as heartfelt, the loss of a comrade and friend by many of our officer friends and city officials. And, the fact that Greg was one of ours and one of us, whether we knew him well or otherwise. It didn't matter now as everyone felt the need to do something, something for Greg's family and to show support for our officers, the ones of us.

Except for Carolina game-days or some odd and obscure event, this group usually peels off one by one at various hours like stray cattle - there is rarely an agenda or a sense of you have to stay 'til we're done - to each his own.

We stayed this evening on the back patio with barely a glimmer of light, each offering opinion and ideas. It was wonderful to watch. I hadn't ever seen this much intensity from these guys about anything else, at least not during football season.

I began to write and plan, rewrite and plan as the ideas were tossed around. Oddly enough we arrived at a plan.

I was to go to the City Manager and get permission to have our group and other volunteers stand on the corners and medians of Forest Drive and Trenholm to collect money for Greg's family two days after Greg was taken from us.

We discussed the weather forecast, the odds of getting permission and all the other hurdles that come with pulling something together with virtually no lead-time.

We all reassured one another the forecast for terrible weather would not be a deterrent and everyone threw their raincoats into the ring. Well, we truly didn't know what was coming. Hell, the skies had been misting or raining for nearly the last two weeks. I was even doubtful of what eventually happened and I've been through five hurricanes - I know what water can do.

Along with this ad hoc (the loosest sense of the term) committee and our plan, I spent the next day visiting Forest Acres Town Hall, local businesses and doing some recon and surveillance.

Mark Williams, City Manager, was very supportive, but within short time I knew this wouldn't be a request he could easily approve. I did know he was in our court, Greg's and the police department's. His staff was also very helpful and the emotions were felt - I had to walk outside once to gather myself.

So I visited or phoned the possibly affected businesses on the four corners of the Forest and Trenholm and then planted myself in a restaurant at Trenholm Plaza to make more phone calls to check on or arrange for some necessary supplies, donations and support.

We were ready to roll, virtually, logistically and volunteer-wise, and I knew Mark was doing his best, but again, this was a tall order.

It was between four and five p.m., with close of business approaching, when I called Mark to 
(politely) pressure him for an answer so that I could or could not make plans for our group. I received the answer I expected; however, I didn't know Mark had ideas and made some phone calls of his own.

Within the next hour, after feeling beaten only for a few minutes, I and several others made contact with each other and a new plan to arrive at a plan was made. And, that plan was finalized just a few days ago.

Our fundraising for Greg Alia's family and support for our law enforcers will be held at Rooftop Rhythms at Richland Mall on Thursday, October 29, 2015.

Those persons or businesses we wish to give thanks, whether ultimately involved or not, are listed here.

Please use the Follow by Email feature to the right to stay abreast of any news or changes.

Doug Ingbretsen
Team T.O.S.

2 comments: