.

.
IMPORTANT! We are extending the availability to order the Greg Alia - On of Ours, One of Us t-shirts Indefinitely.

Friday, October 23, 2015

A River Ran Through It

Sometime between Saturday October 4, 2015 and the next day there weren't too many creeks remaining in Forest Acres. Many had become rivers. 

Forest Lake Gardens sits just below Eight Mile Branch and a stone's throw from where it meets Gills Creek, uh, River.

A friend called me about 9 a.m. and said, "Man you oughta see Dougall's place. Well actually it's hard to see. It's completely under water!"

After seeing a video of the area I realized my friend was exaggerating, slightly, only slightly. A few inches of the business sign, which begins just below the roof-line, were visible and when I saw the box truck's cab was almost underwater I began to think of the fate of the other vehicles he uses in providing flowers, plants, produce, stones, soils, planters, pots and so much more to the community.

I imagine most who saw those images probably thought, "That's the end of Forest Lake Gardens." Well, no one told the owner, Joseph McDougall. As soon as the waters receded enough Joseph was back in there planning, doing, recovering.

I was fortunate, high and somewhat dry, in regard to the rains and floods. I still had to make plans as how to orchestrate a fundraising and support event for Greg Alia, the family he unwillingly left behind and our local law enforcement, but as soon as I felt comfortable with that and thought going to help Joseph made sense, I did. And, I wasn't alone. Others were already there helping him, some I recognized, others I didn't.

Mud would have been one of the first things Joe could sale immediately, as if anyone would need any soon, because it pretty much replaced most of his inventory which is now on the widened banks of Gills Creek or on its way down the Congaree to Lake Marion.

Except for some large glazed pots and some items which were protected by the adjacent building, much of what remained, which was very little, was damaged. Worst of all, and Joseph will agree, the custom cooker for boiling peanuts was amiss. I have traveled the banks downstream from Joseph's place many a times hoping to see sunlight bouncing of this huge stainless steel pot somewhere in the water or the surrounding woods as the water level slowly declines. 

A lot of clean-up was taking place and I began to remember how the place looked before the floods, just with no plants, produce and all the other products Joseph provides the community. Within a few days I hear him speaking of placing orders for Mums, Pansies, lettuces, soils and fertilizers.

Many of Joseph's flowers, after the death of Greg Alia and before the floods, which was only about three days, made it over to Greg's memorial at the Forest Lakes Police Department, which is just across Trenholm Road. People would come purchase them and then drive or walk over to place at or on his police cruiser which was eventually covered and lined with flowers, and then water, mud and debris as mother nature unleashed on the region.

When the parking lot and roadway had somewhat been clear some of the Forest Acres police officer and city staff would make it by to express their sorrow for Joseph's loss and he would usually say, "This is nothing, you lost one of yours. I can replace this." That's Joseph.

This location is so right for community and I hope some other arrangements can be made so that he may stay. Once when discussing losing his lease of the property he said, "They can run me out, but I will just go somewhere else and keep helping my neighbors."

A river ran through it, but didn't carry it away. Look at the sign above. You will notice Open is painted. This is no flip sign with Closed on the other side. That is not an option for Joseph McDougall.

See a related story by Sarah Ellis of The State.

Doug Ingbretsen
Team T.O.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment